Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was just arrested for shop lifting at century 21. I was…

Customer Question
Hi! I was just...

Hi! I was just arrested for shop lifting at century 21. I was mailed a statement from their law firm demanding I pay $500 within 21 days. What will happen if I do not pay? Should I pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Criminal Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

Total cost of product was about $600. I have a court date for middle of May

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Charged for petit larceny

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NY

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/31/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 26 days ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

No, you don't have to pay the fine. That is not a court order. It is an offer of a settlement. Essentially they are saying, "If you pay this, we won't sue you." They're almost certainly not going to sue you for $500. It's just not worth their time. On top of that, since they are having you prosecuted, you're going to be making restitution through the criminal courts anyway. Most lawyers would tell you not to pay the civil settlement offer.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD