Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can an arizona parole office legally forbid me from having…

Can an arizona parole office...
Can an arizona parole office legally forbid me from having any contact with my husband for the duration of his parole? We share a bank account, we share finances, he's on my health insurance thriugh my work, he's my husband? I feel as though they're basically telling us to break up. Can they do that?
3/29/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The Parole Board can set reasonable restrictions on your liberty while on Parole. And that could include limiting your contact with folks outside of jail, including a spouse.

It has to be reasonable...they can not prevent you from seeing your spouse for no reason. But if they have a basis for this rule? They can enforce it?

They are basing it on a dismissed domestic violence from 2013. It was dismissed by the court

That can be a basis...if there is evidence of DV? Even if not a conviction? That can be a basis to deny association.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
The citation is dated 5/26/2013 which was the day of the arrest but the court stamped the document may 22 2013 is that still a valid document?