Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had a dui arrest in 94 lost my job and moved back home and…

Customer Question
I had a dui...

I had a dui arrest in 94 lost my job and moved back home and did not have the money to go back for my 14th apperance what should i do and what am i facing

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the DUI charges?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the DUI occur?

Nc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am trying to get my license back

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/29/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, if you don't show up on a court date, a warrant will issue for your arrest. Warrants don't expire. They will remain out there against you until you surrender to it and deal with the case.

You cannot get a driver's license anywhere in the country with a warrant out for your arrest. You're going to have to return to NC to deal with the warrant and once that's been cleared up you can go to the DMV there and see what you will still need to get your driving privileges reinstated.

Warrants are always bad news situations, and I can't tell you what exactly will befall you when you come back. It's possible that after all this time, the DA's office won't be able to go forward with the charge, but they are entitled to try. As a result, the judge may want to set bail on you to prevent you from disappearing for another 25 years.

So it's a bad idea to return to court without a lawyer to pave the way for your safest possible return, because otherwise the judge could incarcerate you.

A lawyer could first contact the prosecutor and try to get the warrant quashed and a summons issued so you're not at risk of an arrest when you come in. Or he can negotiate something in advance of your return so that you could just dispose of the case quickly. Then he could appear with you in court, make a case for your coninued liberty and hopefully be in a position to wrap the case up and help you restore your driving privileges.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.