Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Colorado,,,My Son got arrested for attempted murder and 12…

Colorado,,,My Son got arrested for...
Colorado,,,My Son got arrested for attempted murder and 12 other charges. Should we go to court trial or take the plee offer Bargain? Help Please
3/28/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hello Nisha Jones. Need ,,, directions, options and factors to consider also Average punishment times,

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.

JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice, so I cannot tell you specifically whether your son should take the plea or not; however I can inform you on the risks and benefits associated with each option.

The benefit of a plea is that you know what you're getting. Your son/ his attorney can negotiate to as favorable plea as they are able to obtain from the prosecutor, and can then choose to accept, or not.

With trial, there is the possibility of being found not guilty which means your son would not face any criminal penalties and would be released, his freedom restored.

However if found guilty, the judge would then be sentencing your son, which often times can be much harsher than any plea that was offered by the prosecutor.

With regards ***** ***** potential sentencing, if this was an attempted second degree murder charge, it is punishable by:

• 10-32 years in prison (plus 5-years mandatory parole), and
  • A possible fine of $3,000-$750,000.

The penalties for attempted first degree murder are harsher.

There are also 12 other charges, so the penalties for those offenses would be compiled as well.

Your son will have to weigh the risk of being found guilty at trial vs. whatever the plea is being offered by the prosecutor.

The more physical evidence and/or witnesses that the prosecution has, the stronger the case is against your son.

The less evidence and/or witnesses, the less strong their case against him is.

Since finances for his defense attorney has become a problem, he may qualify for a public defender.

You should also contact the Colorado State Bar and inquire as to the availability of a pro bono criminal defense lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer