Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How do I file a charge against someone for harassment in…

How do I file a...
How do I file a charge against someone for harassment in Arizona? For example, if a man or woman keeps touching me inappropriately/sexually with intent to harass and/or annoy.
3/28/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Touching someone in an inappropriate or offensive manner is battery, which is a crime. You can file a police report. Each time this happens, it would be a separate offense. Harassment is also a crime, and it can be charged at the same time as battery. The legal definition of battery includes when a person "Repeatedly commits an act or acts that harass another person" with intent to annoy or harass. Ariz. Rev. Stat., Section 13-2921.

It is also possible to file a civil suit for intentional infliction of emotional distress and/or battery. If this person is convicted of battery or harassment, you would automatically win the related civil suit.

When harassment or inappropriate sexual touching takes place inside the workplace, you may have additional rights and remedies. Let me know if that's the case, and I can get you more information.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

thank you. This actually happened at a night club when I was talking to a girl and some guy kept rubbing his genitalia all over my leg and it was not at all dancing and this jerk just appeared out of nowhere and kept saying, “you like that you like that” in a condescending way. This happened in Arizona.

Harassment requires more of a pattern of ongoing conduct, but that qualifies as battery. You could report them to the police. You may also want to report them to the club manager or owner, so they know to watch out for these people (and not let them back in).

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Thank you so much for the advice. I will be sure to ask you if I have anymore questions later regarding this.