Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a friend who had hired a from online, and heard that…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a friend who had hired a prostitute from online, and heard that they needed to send a photo of their ID as screening. can he get charged or arrested after the incident already took place?

Lawyer's Assistant: Does your friend have any upcoming court dates on the prostitution charges?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the prostitution occur?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just wondering how probable it would be that he woulg be charged or not

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Also I know that he was worried about getting caught after the fact from a charge on his credit card? Is this something to be very worried about?
3/28/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your criminal law question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you in your criminal law matter. Your friend could be prosecuted under prostitution and solicitation laws or more serious offenses if pimping was involved.

California Penal Code outlined the offense here:

"

647.

Except as provided in paragraph (5) of subdivision (b) and subdivision (l), every person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor:

(a) An individual who solicits anyone to engage in or who engages in lewd or dissolute conduct in any public place or in any place open to the public or exposed to public view.

(b) (1) An individual who solicits, or who agrees to engage in, or who engages in, any act of prostitution with the intent to receive compensation, money, or anything of value from another person. An individual agrees to engage in an act of prostitution when, with specific intent to so engage, he or she manifests an acceptance of an offer or solicitation by another person to so engage, regardless of whether the offer or solicitation was made by a person who also possessed the specific intent to engage in an act of prostitution.

(2) An individual who solicits, or who agrees to engage in, or who engages in, any act of prostitution with another person who is 18 years of age or older in exchange for the individual providing compensation, money, or anything of value to the other person. An individual agrees to engage in an act of prostitution when, with specific intent to so engage, he or she manifests an acceptance of an offer or solicitation by another person who is 18 years of age or older to so engage, regardless of whether the offer or solicitation was made by a person who also possessed the specific intent to engage in an act of prostitution.

(3) An individual who solicits, or who agrees to engage in, or who engages in, any act of prostitution with another person who is a minor in exchange for the individual providing compensation, money, or anything of value to the minor. An individual agrees to engage in an act of prostitution when, with specific intent to so engage, he or she manifests an acceptance of an offer or solicitation by someone who is a minor to so engage, regardless of whether the offer or solicitation was made by a minor who also possessed the specific intent to engage in an act of prostitution.

(4) A manifestation of acceptance of an offer or solicitation to engage in an act of prostitution does not constitute a violation of this subdivision unless some act, in addition to the manifestation of acceptance, is done within this state in furtherance of the commission of the act of prostitution by the person manifesting an acceptance of an offer or solicitation to engage in that act. As used in this subdivision, “prostitution” includes any lewd act between persons for money or other consideration.

(5) Notwithstanding paragraphs (1) to (3), inclusive, this subdivision does not apply to a child under 18 years of age who is alleged to have engaged in conduct to receive money or other consideration that would, if committed by an adult, violate this subdivision. A commercially exploited child under this paragraph may be adjudged a dependent child of the court pursuant to paragraph (2) of subdivision (b) of Section 300 of the Welfare and Institutions Code and may be taken into temporary custody pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 305 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, if the conditions allowing temporary custody without warrant are met.

(c) Who accosts other persons in any public place or in any place open to the public for the purpose of begging or soliciting alms.

(d) Who loiters in or about any toilet open to the public for the purpose of engaging in or soliciting any lewd or lascivious or any unlawful act.

(e) Who lodges in any building, structure, vehicle, or place, whether public or private, without the permission of the owner or person entitled to the possession or in control of it."

There is statute of limitations though in place if the crime occurred sometime ago.

So if prosecuted as a misdemeanor it must be done year or a lower grade felony 3 years.

So as time passes the chances of prosecution decrease and become statute barred.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Would like to know how likely it would be that they could come back and arrest him?

This comes down to the police agency that is investigating or conducted an investigation.

If there is no active investigation then perhaps never. If an investigation was conducted and an arrest wasn't made then the investigation may have been closed.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer