Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Say a guy is texting at first on a dating site for 18 and…

Quick question. Say a...

Quick question. Say a guy is texting at first on a dating site for 18 and above, then later on the phone. If the person is texting or chatting with turns out to be 17. Is the guy liable for any type of charges? He sent NO pics that are inappropriate, only of his face, blowing a kiss.

Lawyer's Assistant: What was he charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

No charges, he has been asked by the family of the girl , to send $750 to make it all go away. He is in his 30's she 17. Im thinking seam. scam

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the fraud occur?

Oklahoma. legal age of consent is 16, but Never was there any personal contact. A few calls on the phone only.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did you ever actually speak to the girl on the phone?

Are you online with me?

I am.
My son is the guy in question. Yes, he spoke to her a couple of times

Thank you for the additional information.

Your son has broken no laws for which he could be prosecuted, or even charged.

This is a very common scam we are seeing with increasing frequency lately. In actuality, there is no underage girl and he was likely communicating with the "father" the whole time. The whole purpose was to get him to text something inappropriate or send nude pics so that the blackmail could occur.

Tell him to not respond. Stop all communication. Nothing will happen. This person is a criminal trying to steal his money. They will not go to the police because they do not want any attention from law enforcement. Besides, he did nothing illegal.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

This is what I thought. Just wanted a legal opinion. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer