Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Oh -- not sure how I got here. Guess I can ask you the

Oh -- not sure...

Oh -- not sure how I got here. Guess I can ask you the question. My son was convicted of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon -- felony. No, he didn't shoot or stab anyone. It was 2 kids playing leap frogs with their trucks and my son wound up in trouble. It is on appeal and he is not on probation because it is on appeal. He wants to move from Texas to Minnesota where he will have his own house and job. The question is can he do that. And what reppurcusions (sp) there would be. I just have not been able to find the answers.

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

The first appeal was denied. It is now being appealed to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this yet?

No. Can't seem to find one that knows the answers to the questions.

3/27/2018
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - yes he can move to Minn and if the appeal is denied again he will be able to petition the court to transfer his probation to Minn. He will still have to report to a probation officer and complete all aspects of the sentence, but he would be able to live in Minn. He would also have to come back for the sentencing in Texas.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK -- so are you saying that it's OK for him to do that because he is not on probation at this time? Does he need to get permission from ANYONE to move to Minnesota?

If he is on a pretrial or post trial supervision he will need to get permission from them - but there should not be an issue with moving to Minn

Can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK so he would have to return to appear in court in Texas but he can tell them he lives in Minnesota and transfer probation. He's worried they will say no he can't go to Minnesota. I dont know. It's confusing.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
He has not been on probation since the appeal was filed. But we have never been able to get answers -- I don't know if he's on supervision or not. We have not heard from the probation officer since the first appeal was filed . It's so confusing.

okay - if he was on supervision you would know. And yes, he can move to Minn and have things transferred.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK -- so he does not need to get permission from anyone. He can just go.

based on the information you have provided me I do not see an issue with him moving to Minn now.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you very much.

can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer
LegalDan
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer