Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I gave a confession to a theft to police, even returning…

Customer Question
I gave a confession to...
I gave a confession to a theft to police, even returning some items. How long typically does it take for an arrest warrant to be issued?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

An arrest warrant can be obtained in as little as 24 hours, but could also take a few days.

It should not take any longer than 3 days for a warrant to be issued if you gave a confession to the police officers.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Would there be an instance when it takes longer? The police sounded like they were sympathetic to what happened ( it was an emotional response to something going on and not 'criminal intent') and were waiting a few days to submit paperwork in hopes that ex-boyfriend would not want them to push charges...they also told me they would let me know when teh warrant comes down so that I could come in, rather than coming to my home or work...
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
also -- any chance of being offered a diversion program instead of prosecution? Unfortunately, I do have a misdemeanor DUI charge that I plead guilty to in another state...

It is possible that it would take longer if the police officers delayed a few days before submitting their request for the warrant.

Also yes, if this is your first ever criminal offense in state, then it is very possible that you may be able to get into a diversion program.

This would have to be negotiated by your defense attorney with the prosecutor.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 23 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer