Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Does this cost money? Was pushed, screamed at and bruised by…

Does this cost money? ...

Does this cost money?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Was pushed, screamed at and bruised by my daughter's ex, am 68, did call 911...should I file charges

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does this cost money

3/27/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I have also co signed for my daughter and this man to live in an apartment....he has moved out and refused to pay the rent for the final 4 months.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, this is a paid for service.

You can speak with customer support about billing and/or membership.

Here's the link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Just let me know once you're ready to continue, and I can answer your legal questions for you. Thanks!

'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, this is a paid for service.

Here's the link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

no i don't chose to make the call thank you

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

Would you like to continue over the written chat?

Were you able to address your payment questions with customer support?

I am waiting for you to continue, and as I said, no, I choose not to use the phone. Thank you.

Sure no problem, I've been waiting to hear back from you with regards ***** ***** you wished to continue.

Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Based on the information you shared, it appears that you were the victim of a criminal battery.

Yes, you should contact the police and report this immediately.

They can execute an arrest against your daughter's ex, and criminal charges can be filed against him.

Does he live with you or has he lived in your home in the past? If so, this may qualify as a domestic relationship, in which case a protective order will also be issued in conjunction with the criminal case, prohibiting him from coming within 500 ft. of you or your home.

You can also seek a civil protective injunction by going in to your local county courthouse.

The Clerk's Office should have the forms necessary to request the protective injunction and can help you with getting your forms properly filed.

A protective injunction can potentially last for several years, so would be in place longer than the one issued from a criminal case.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Did you also see the info re: him refusing to pay the rent? That will entail appx. $2400.00, I plan to send a demand letter, but expect him to not pay.

I'm sorry to hear that, give me a few minutes to type up some information for you concerning that.

Unfortunately for now you and your daughter would be liable to continue making the rent payments, so as to avoid an eviction and to avoid any type of judgment against your credit.

However, you can also pursue a claim in small claims court against her ex to recover that money.

You were a co-signor to the lease, but you may very well still be able to recover those funds on the basis of him violating the lease and moving out early, and refusing to contribute to the cost of rent.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!