Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have several questions. I have a friend who is being

Customer Question
I have several questions...

I have several questions. I have a friend who is being charged with money laundering. She tell me she did some unknowingly at first but the one she is being charged on she says she didn't and the law has no proof. She says she is being framed . Her court appointed lawyer told her yo go to court and convince the judge she did it or she would never see her family. She got scared and ran while on bail. Now they are sentencing her in a few days without a trial. The D.A said since she ran she gets no trial. Is that legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Does your friend have any upcoming court dates on the money laundering charges?

Yes she will be sentenced on Thursday and hasn't e shad a trial

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the money laundering occur?

Ok I was just informed by her husband that it isn't a money laundering charge. She is being accused of transferring money From an elderly persons bank account in Florida to hers in Texas. The actual charge is theft over $1500 and under $20,000 of an elderly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We need to stop the sentencing and get her another lawyer but he doesn't have a lot of money.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/27/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 24 days ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your question with regard to this?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Where is your answer

I didn't give you an answer because although you explained a situation, you never asked a question. Instead, I asked you for more information. When you tell me specifically what you want to know about this situation, I'll be happy to provide an answer.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I asked if they can go straight to sentencing without a trial and a new question is how far back can they pull up an old case to enhance the new charge

Yes, they can go straight to sentencing without a trial because a person who takes a plea waives his or her right to a trial in order to get the deal that the state proposes for her. All of that is made clear on the record before a defendant takes a plea because once she does, it is difficult, frequently impossible, to take that plea back. A defendant also has to admit guilt on the record to take a plea.

As for how far back can they pull up old cases for in order to enhance a record, the court will look at a defendant's complete RAP sheet, which will go all the way back to that person's first contact with the criminal justice system. What they make of that is something that is at the discretion of the prosecutor and/or the sentencing judge.

Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 22 days ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD