Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am trying to help my friend out and find an NAACP lawyer…

Customer Question
Hello I am trying...

Hello I am trying to help my friend out and find an NAACP lawyer to represent her. She was falsely arrested, treated roughly by the law officers who arrested her and publicly slandered over the local radio station and local newspapers.

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

My friend was charged with endangerment to a child and stealing prescription drugs from her employer. There is no court date. She was released on her own recognizance after the arrest.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the theft occur?

Texas and there was no theft, she was accused of stealing but the prescription pills were from her own prescription.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My friend has been trying to get help from Nelson Linder in Austin, Texas but he told her he doesn't have time right now. She is innocent and is in the process of getting her grandson back into her home. She was physically hurt during the arrest and has suffered from shoulder pain since 11/15/2017 the date of the arrest.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/27/2018
Criminal Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Law Professor replied 3 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

Yes, rather than the NAACP, the correct procedure is for your friend to go to the first hearing and request that the court appoint a lawyer or the public defender to represent her in this criminal matter. The NAACP does not handle local criminal matters, because the law varies so much by locale, but your friend is entitled to a lawyer if she cannot afford one as her constitutional right, so she should tell the judge that she needs a lawyer, and the judge will appoint one at the expesne of the court.

Your friend will not have to pay, and it sounds like she has a strong case given what happened here.

Please rate five stars ***** and by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.