Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son met someone through an online dating service who it…

My son met someone...

My son met someone through an online dating service who it turns out is NOT 18. Her dad is forcing him to pay for therapy and he won't go to the police. What do you think.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

He's in Ohio; she's in Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Nothing yet. He's asking me for money to pay this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can he go to jail if the dad decides to press charges? She misrepresented herself on the website.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did your son ever speak to the girl, or meet her personally, or was all communication via text or email?

Has he sent money yet?

Did she tell him she was over 18?

Are you online with me?

It was all via text messaging. I don't know details. I don't want to know.
No money has been sent. He wants $1,100 to pay her phone bills and now $1,300 for therapy.
She was on the dating website where you have to be 28.
I meant 18

Thank you for the additional information.

This is positively a scam.

This is a very common scam we are seeing with increasing frequency lately. In actuality, there is no underage girl and your son was likely communicating with the "father" the whole time. The whole purpose was to get him to text something inappropriate or send nude pics so that the blackmail could occur.

Tell him to not respond. Stop all communication. Nothing will happen. There is no girl and this person is a criminal trying to steal his money. They will not go to the police because they do not want any attention from law enforcement.

They are the criminals and do not want any scrutiny from law enforcement.

Additionally, if your son reasonably believed the girl to be over 18, and never had sexual contact, he broke no law.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

Sorry, I was busy with a client. I feel much better about this. Thank you!!!

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer