Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In court today, I had a domestic violence case dissmissed…

Customer Question
In court today, I had...
In court today, I had a domestic violence case dissmissed "without predjudice". What does that mean, as compared to "with predjudice", and how does the difference effect when I can have the record sealed?
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/26/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

In the formal legal world, a court case that is dismissed with prejudice means that it is dismissed permanently. A case dismissed with prejudice is over and done with, once and for all, and can't be brought back to court. A case dismissed without prejudice means the opposite. It's not dismissed forever.

If this is a criminal case that was dismissed, you can petition to have the record sealed now. This website from the State of Massachusetts explains the process and what you need to file. If this was a restraining order that a person took out against you that was dismissed, those cannot be expunged as they are not part of the criminal record system.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is there a statute of limitation on "without predjudice", i.e. will it be dismissed permanently after a year or so?

I do apologize, I didn't see your reply come through! There's not a statute of limitations on a without prejudice, but what type of matter is this? Was this a criminal case? There are statute of limitations on criminal and civil matters and how long a person has to file.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer