Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just received a letter from the police department stating…

I just received a...

I just received a letter from the police department stating that my vehicle was involved in a hit and run,and was told to contact a detective with the Traffic Investigation Unit. What steps should I take?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have hit and run charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I don't have a court date I just received the letter last Friday

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the hit and run occur?

Sacramento ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't have a license or insurance ,I just got the vehicle.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this. First of all, WAS your vehicle involved in a hit and run? With you, or possibly another driver who was borrowing your vehicle?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Jus say me
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'm ok with typing

That is fine. Thank you for explaining. First of all, understand how this works.

1) a police complaint is filed;
2) the police investigate by questioning all parties involved and reviewing the evidence;
3) they pass on the information to the District Attorney;
4) the D.A. makes a decision whether to charge or not.

What might the detective want?

Because he wants to get your version of the events. At this time, you DO NOT HAVE TO talk to the police, but of course if you do not, this may pass off as suspicious. Ergo, most parties do respond, but, with counsel. Do not talk to the police alone, because they will try to get you to admit something and/or use your words against you. An attorney can help you make a formal statement and/or an interview that is controlled and measured.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law