Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Trying to find a lawyer. Have a patient who got arrested…

Trying to find a...

Trying to find a lawyer. Have a patient who got arrested they are trying to get a search warrant for her records need to know what I have to provide. Do I give the actual chart etc

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

No me. A patient. I’m a doctor. Seeing that patient.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Would we be speaking? Likely drug charge and I do psychiatric and drug treatment.

3/26/2018
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. No, you would not have to provide the actual chart, as that is yours and part of your record. However, they would ask for a copy of everything to be turned over and any type of order or warrant, should specifically state what you need to provide or they are allowed to. Unless and until you are actually served with something that requires you to turn over their medical records, you do not have to do so.

they show up at the office to serve the warrant and everything has to stop at that point and they get full attention. Do you have 24 hours to fax? What is the process

Unless you are part of the investigation and they think you are involved, it would be odd that they show up to your office with a search warrant. If you treated this person and have records which are relevant to the prosecution of the case, they would likely obtain a court order for you to turn them over. They would state what they need and what needs to be provided and they should provide a time frame to turn them over to them. They may have someone present who will wait for you to copy them and turn them over or they may ask that you fax or email them to them.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Phone call session started