Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What is considered "rich" for an individual in the United…

What is considered "rich" for...
What is considered "rich" for an individual in the United States, say a citizen of the United States? I see various net worth
and other considerations.
3/26/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

It is understandably a very subjective topic, and the answer to that question can vary from person to person.

Some consideration to take into account are assets, properties, investments, etc. in addition to cash balances.

Many find that a salary in the 6 figure range is considered "rich".

However some recent articles place that amount much higher, in the millions.

See:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/21/how-much-money-americans-think-it-takes-to-be-considered-rich.html

And

https://www.supermoney.com/2016/05/much-money-take-considered-rich-us/

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

I can wait...

I'm sorry, did you receive my prior response? I'll re-send it now.

Some consideration to take into account are assets, properties, investments, etc. in addition to cash balances. Many find that a salary in the 6 figure range is considered "rich". However some recent articles place that amount much higher, in the millions. See:https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/21/how-much-money-americans-think-it-takes-to-be-considered-rich.html And https://www.supermoney.com/2016/05/much-money-take-considered-rich-us/ I hope that helps!Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!
This is great information. I am or was looking for, is it considered or could it be the top 1%, or the top 5%? The household
income seems to vary also. In your experience or opinion based on experience, is this usually taken as the lowest "qualifying"
criteria for that category, or the most strict one such as the 1% and a strict high income requirement, say the income
or the highest income reported as thought to be rich? Is it thought to be or is it something that has been studied and should
that be relied on? Thank you.
Sending additional...

"Sending additional..."

Were you still sending additional information to me that I should be waiting on? No rush, just wanted to clarify, thanks!

The 6 figure should be taken as being on the lower qualifying end.

As you can see from the articles I sent earlier, recent report have placed the "rich" as being those earning in the millions.

There may be some studies done, such as the surveys or polls taken in the above articles, but it shouldn't really be relied upon as something that's been substantiated through study, as it is such a subjective topic.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones