Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a detective force a witness of domestic violence to make…

Can a detective force...

Can a detective force a witness of domestic violence to make statements, or force an interview.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have domestic violence charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Yes the state picked up charges

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the domestic violence occur?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The witness wants the police to leave them alone

3/26/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

No, the witness has the right to refuse questioning or to give a formal statement.

Without a warrant or court ordered subpoena the witness does not have to speak with the officers.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!