Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can i sue the city police department for false arrest,

Customer Question
Can i sue the...

Can i sue the city police department for false arrest, harassment, and profiling stopping me for driving on suspended license in front of my home, feel like he didn't have probably cause to stop me

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the harassment charges?

Out on bail, court date on April 5 , for driving on suspended license,

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the harassment occur?

More a case in Ft Lauderdale, about profiling, before arresting me and getting a ticket

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When put in jail, got and eye infection, because i wear contact, couldn't take them out for 4 days, said they don't provide for contact wearers

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/26/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you.

You can sue a cop for false arrest, but such lawsuits tend to be difficult to win. Most states protect their officers from such suits with what is called “investigatorial immunity.” As long as an officer is acting reasonably in their employment, their actions, even if mistaken in the end, are protected from civil suit.

in the end, you are going to have to sue based on a violation of your civil rights; however, these cases are extremely difficult, especially if the police actually ended up finding you driving on a suspended license.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer