Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was charged with assault. I have never been arrested and…

I was charged with...

I was charged with assault. I have never been arrested and my first court appearance tomorrow. The paperwork calls it an arraignment. Do I need legal counsel present?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the assault charges?

Tomorrow is the first one, I have not received anything in the mail.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the assault occur?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that's pretty much it. I was told that I didn't need a lawyer for the arraignment but now starting to wonder. Thanks!

3/25/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The only court date is 3/26/18

If you can afford a lawyer, the sooner you have one the better. It will help you understand what's going on and to make intelligent and informed decisions about your case. Your Constitutional right to an attorney attaches at your arraignment. So if you can't come up with a lawyer for tomorrow and you feel like you may be disadvantaged, just plead not guilty when you are asked how you plead to the charges. In that way you will keep all of your rights and choices open to you. Right after you do that you can tell the judge that you need a continuance to come back with a lawyer and he will give you a new date.

If you are unable to afford a lawyer, after you plead not guilty you can tell the judge that you cannot afford to retain private counsel and ask him to appoint you a free lawyer. He will give you a new date and your lawyer wil turn up oin court at that time.

Zoe, thank you for confirming that for me. It just happened on 3/23 so not enough time to get with my attorney's office. I will plead not guilty to make sure my rights are not compromised. I will also ask for a continuance as suggested. I appreciate your help very much!

You're very welcome!

One thing some people do is to get to court very early and watch the lawyers representing other clients of theirs. If you see someone whose work you like, you can approach him or her and ask if you can retain him/her for your case. That would give you a lawyer for tomorrow. Otherwise, you know what to do if you're on your own.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD