Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a class 1 misdemeanor for theft ever be sealed for a 20…

Can a class 1...

Can a class 1 misdemeanor for theft ever be sealed for a 20 year old In Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have theft charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Yes and da said he won’t do a deferred sentence

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a CO lawyer about this yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am just trying to figure out what this means for my kid

3/25/2018
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unfortunately, for actual convictions, there are very few crimes that can be sealed in Colorado, and those only include those offenses involving controlled substances or petty offenses (less serious than misdemeanors).

Can you petition after a period of time?
The only thing you could possibly do is to try to seek a pardon from the governors office. But that is very unlikely to occur.There is no time period applicable to the expungement law unless it is related to a petty offense. A conviction of a misdemeanor is simply not covered under Colorado law.

I hope this has been helpful. Is so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today. 5 stars would be greatly appreciated!

May I ask one more question since she is currently negotiating a plea is it possible to negotiate sealing the record after a period of time as part of the plea deal?

Unfortunately, that won't be available. The DA is not permitted to agree to that since it is not something that is allowed under the law.

Ok i am just trying to figure out if there are any options to not have this stay with her the rest of her life. It was a stupid mistake and she has done a lot of things to turn things around for the better

The only way that this is going to occur is to get the deferred judgment. I would suggest finding a local criminal defense attorney who might be able to speak to the DA on your behalf and put more pressure on the DA then you are going to be able to do on your own.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Thank you. Where do I rate ? You have been very helpful
WiseOwl58
Phone call session started