Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is this automated? I was caught shoplifting about 18 months…

Is this automated? Lawyer's...

Is this automated?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I was caught shoplifting about 18 months ago but I took the diversion program

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the shoplifting occur?

AZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just curious if that still shows up on my record even after I completed the diversion program

3/25/2018
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

No, the purpose of the diversion program is to give first time offenders a way to keep an offense like this off their permanent records if they successfully complete the diversion program. If you do so, then the case will be dismissed and then nothing will show up on your permanent record.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Hi Barrister,Thanks for the reply. Okay so as long as the program was successfully completed then there's no proof of my violation on my record. I'm just concerned in case an employer looks up my record during a background check and sees that I have a charge on my record.
Thanks for the reply. Okay so as long as the program was successfully completed then there's no proof of my violation on my record. I'm just concerned in case an employer looks up my record during a background check and sees that I have a charge on my record.

That is correct, there wouldn't be any conviction that would appear. However you may want to pull a copy of yoru criminal background check with the local police once you are done to see if they actually expunged the charge entirely so nothing shows up at all.

.

If it just shows a charge that was dismissed, then you will need to file a petition for an expungement in the local court so any reference at all will be wiped from the record..

.

.

thanks

How do I pull up my background check/record and file for an expungement?

As I mentioned, you have to go to the local police department and pay a fee for them to run the background check..

.

Then you go the court clerks and ask them for a petition to file for an expungement if the charge actually showed up..