Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My friend called from county jail in New Hampshire and on…

My friend called from...

My friend called from county jail in New Hampshire and on the phone call I admitted I’d been buying pot from someone but didn’t mention their name. Can this be charged against me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

No I was the receiver of the call

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NH lawyer about this yet?

No, I’m the one who received the call from the jail.

3/25/2018
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

A phone call from jail that is recorded is not going to be used to convict a person of a crime based solely on that phone call. It simply isn't enough evidence to convict someone. However, if you were charged with a crime and there was evidence already available, the phone call might be used as additional evidence against you. But you shouldn't be worried about someone coming after you in the future simply based on the phone call.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Thank you. As the receiver of the call I felt I would be okay but I would rather not worry.

You are welcome!