Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son got a DUI in October of 2017 went to court with his…

Hi My son got...

Hi My son got a DUI in October of 2017 went to court with his attorney, pleaded guilty, lost his license for 4 months. November 20th to March 20th. Paid all his fines, completed DUI class, 30 hours of community service. When he went to the DMV on 3-22 to provide all his paper work he was told he had more fees to paid to Traffic Court. He paid those fees, which we thought we all taken care of with his court fines and fees he paid. Only to find out that because he did not pay those fines before 11-30 or appear in court on 11-30 they extended his suspension an additional 8 weeks. How can I see if I can get that extension lifted possibly filing a motion to vacate the suspension. His attorney who represented him retired in December 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

My son's name is***** DOB12-18-1989 public records in Rhode Island to review
State of Rhode Island vs. Nicholas Boyd CA No#31-17-09986
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

Even though the attorney retired, the attorney has an obligation to continue helping your son or else bring in another attorney to substitute and help your son. I would suggest you request the attorney's help in this matter. If not, you can request a hearing and ask the judge to appoint an attorney to handle the case for free because your attorney essentially quit the case without handling it properly and getting you another attorney in his place.

Please rate five stars ***** and by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Thank you

You need to click on the five stars and press SEND to register and close out the question.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor