Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I contacted burlington county prosecutors in april 2001 in…

I contacted burlington county...

I contacted burlington county prosecutors in april 2001 in nj. I was seeing a psychiatrist from 1989-1995. I tried to commit suicide in 1998...I was in an abusive relationship. I was voluntary commuted to a psychiatric hos o. During that time, I confessed that I was sexually molested by him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NJ lawyer about this?

Yes...he said it was time barred

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing...I am led to believe there is nothing I can do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Can someone help me asap
I'm dying here
It's killing me. 20 years later
Please
f**king bastard...I know where he is
Help
I'm going insane...he still affects my life
What do i dk
do
Please help me
Help me please
Please...I am so angry, sad, messed up
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Shit
Please please answer me...I'm a t my wits end
Call me at(###) ###-####anytime
3/24/2018
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Whether you have any recourse at this time will depend upon the nature of the conduct and your age at the time it occurred.

In the criminal context, there is no statute of limitations on reporting sexual assault or aggravated sexual assault under 2C:14-2(a) of the New Jersey statutes. (2C:1-6.) But the state has only two years after the offense was discovered, or five years after the victim turns 18, to initiate a prosecution. In your case, discovery would have occurred in 1998 when you disclosed the molestation. That applies if you were under 18 when it occurred. So it appears that your legal advice was correct; a criminal prosecution would be time barred now.

In the civil context, however, New Jersey has a rather unique law that allows victims of molestation to bring civil lawsuits many years after the crime occurred. New Jersey Statutes, 2A:61B-1(b), states: “In any civil action for injury or illness based on sexual abuse, the cause of action shall accrue at the time of reasonable discovery of the injury and its causal relationship to the act of sexual abuse. Any such act shall be brought within two years after reasonable discovery.”

Therefore, the statute of limitations for a sexual abuse case does not begin until the victim realizes that they were injured as a result of the abuse.

New Jersey publishes a pamphlet on civil litigation for crime victims. Here's the link: https://victimsofcrime.org/docs/NCVBA/nj.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Here's an example of a real case filed by a man 30 years after the incident occurred in New Jersey: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/n-s-statute-limitations-law-helps-sex-abuse-victims-article-1.2642056.

So it's possible that you may be able to pursue a civil suit for damages even at this late date. My best advice is to find a law firm that specializes in these types of cases. It's not something you would want to handle on your own. You would have to be within the two year period that began once you realized that any emotional or physical symptoms you were experiencing were causally related to the molestation in 1998.

We are not permitted to recommend any particular attorneys or law firms here at Just Answer, but here are the search results for "new jersey personal injury attorneys sexual:" https://www.google.com.ua/search?q=new+jersey+personal+injury+attorneys+sexual&oq=new+jersey+personal+injury+attorneys+sexual+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9369j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hope that helped. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. You may always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. And thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio