Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is it legal to bet online? If not what is the range of

punishment & the section of...
Is it legal to bet online? If not what is the range of punishment & the section of the TPC?
Jurisdiction is Texas
3/24/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Online gambling is illegal Federally under the Wire Act.

While there are no laws in Texas that specifically refer to online gambling, the existing Texas statutes are broad enough to encompass online gambling if the state chose to enforce it. These statutes are

Sections 47.01 to 47.03 of the Texas penal code. http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-47-01.html

In actuality, states and the Federal government are far more concerned about going after the casinos than they are the gamblers. Gamblers themselves are rarely prosecuted. However, if the site you use doesn't give you your winnings, the courts aren't likely to assist you in getting your money back because, since they are unlawful gains.

I don't do online gambling. But read about it. I read person say his state of Washington allows for it. Can that be true? Does state of Washington allow for online betting to some degree?

Here's what Washington has to say about gambling:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.46.010

And Washington is one of the few states that has a law specifically criminlizing online gambling, which is a felony:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.46.240

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD