Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I used a fake social security number to buy a car the car…

I used a fake...

I used a fake social security number to buy a car the car place want they car back I returned the car can I still be In trouble I was told it was a 9 digit credit number by a credit repair company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No I just was worried they kept most of my down payment.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that’s it

3/24/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You lied on the credit application and you want to know if you can be prosecuted criminally?

I not knowing used a credit profile number to purchase a vehicle not knowing it was illegal long story when I found I returned the car but they kept most of my down payment I just want to be sure everything is ok can they come back later and try to arrest me or put something on my credit.

Thanks
They could...that is, IF you knowingly provided wrong information on the credit application? That is a crime and the state can prosecute.

Now...if this was a mistake? That is not a crime...so if that is the case, it may be that the police do not even take the case.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

I was told by a credit repair company that I can use this number until my credit is repaired they kept my down payment I was worried but they didn’t call the police my down payment was 4400 dollars and I returned the car.

I understand. And if this was a mistake, it is not a crime...so for that reason, I think you have no worries.

P. Simmons, Lawyer