Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

Question: can I be held financially or criminally

Question: can I be held financially or criminally responsible for a dependents actions if they live with me, are over 27 and homeless??

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have one question left. If I claim her as a dependent on taxes this year does that create more liability for me????
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Answer via text please!
As a general rule, you have no personal liability for an adult family member's debt, unless you sign something agreeing to be so liable.
That would be true even if you claim her as a dependent on your taxes because that just means that you're providing support, not that you're agreeing to guarantee her debt.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks give you five stars, link not working!!! This site hard to use.
You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.