Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Are you familiar with criminal law? No charges, just a

Are you familiar with...

Are you familiar with criminal law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No charges, just a question.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this site completely anonymous and confidential?

Lawyer's Assistant: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Criminal Lawyer and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems.

Can what I say be used against me in court?

3/23/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Your name is ***** ***** as part of this dialogue. YOu are using a generic JACUSTOMER username. So as long as you keep names and personal identifying information out of this chat, it can't be traced to you or used against you.

Do you have a criminal law question?

I have a question regarding child pornography charges while “sexting.”

Please ask the question.

I corresponded with a girl I met online. Her profile claimed she was 19 years old, but she also had a twitter account that claimed she was 18. I am 21 years old. I only sent one picture to her of my torso but was otherwise fully clothed (had basketball shorts on). I received no pictures of her but we did exchange erotic text based messages. I don’t even think she will pursue any charges, but am I still at least theoretically at risk of criminal litigation if she turns out to be younger than 17?
younger than 18 I mean.

You had no reason to believe that she was under 18 and so you did not knowingly have sexually explicit chat with a minor. For that matter, you still have no reason to believe she was underage.

Overworrying something like this is not productive for you. You never know sor sure who you are really chatting with online until you can verify that in person. But nothing you did showed any indication that you'd have been interested in chatting with her if you thought she was a minor.

You're okay. It's not as if she confessed her real age and you continued explicit chat and you did not send her anything illegal.

Ok, thank you

You're very welcome. Stick to sites that require all members to be 18. It doesn't mean that everyone really is, but it protects you all the same.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD