Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have been accused of theft by taking and have not been…

I have been accused...

I have been accused of theft by taking and have not been able to find a lawyer due to cost. They have set a trial date and I was denied a public defender and don’t know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Have theft charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

April 9;2018

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the theft occur?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I live in Missouri and the court is in georgia

3/23/2018
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - what specifically do you need help with

My case is going to trial and I have no legal help due to finances

I'm sorry for your situation - is there a question I can answer? Do you want to know the process? Have you been offered a plea?

No plea has been offered
I had my arraignment already gave a not guilty

okay - what can I help with? have you contacted the local bar association and asked for criminal attorneys who will take a payment plan?

I have not just called over 30 different attorneys and the fees have been out of range for me

okay - the first thing that you need to do is call the bar association. You can get a card from the courthouse or go online and look up the bar association contact information. You will also be able to get a continuance for your trial based on looking for an attorney.

How do I get a continuance.

When you are in court on your next date - inform the prosecutor that you need additional time to hire an attorney and they will get you a continuance. Generally speaking it will be about 30 days

i hope I have answered your question - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

One last question would it be advisable to call the public defenders office and ask for the continuance prior to the day of trial?

it would not be advisable - you will have to tell the prosecutor and the judge

Ok thanks

can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer