Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have been accused of theft by taking and have not been…

I have been accused...

I have been accused of theft by taking and have not been able to find a lawyer due to cost. They have set a trial date and I was denied a public defender and don’t know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Have theft charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

April 9;2018

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the theft occur?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I live in Missouri and the court is in georgia

3/23/2018
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - what specifically do you need help with

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
My case is going to trial and I have no legal help due to finances

I'm sorry for your situation - is there a question I can answer? Do you want to know the process? Have you been offered a plea?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No plea has been offered
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I had my arraignment already gave a not guilty

okay - what can I help with? have you contacted the local bar association and asked for criminal attorneys who will take a payment plan?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I have not just called over 30 different attorneys and the fees have been out of range for me

okay - the first thing that you need to do is call the bar association. You can get a card from the courthouse or go online and look up the bar association contact information. You will also be able to get a continuance for your trial based on looking for an attorney.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How do I get a continuance.

When you are in court on your next date - inform the prosecutor that you need additional time to hire an attorney and they will get you a continuance. Generally speaking it will be about 30 days

i hope I have answered your question - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
One last question would it be advisable to call the public defenders office and ask for the continuance prior to the day of trial?

it would not be advisable - you will have to tell the prosecutor and the judge

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok thanks

can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer
LegalDan
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer