Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can criminal charges be altered / combined into one bigger…

Can criminal charges be altered...
Can criminal charges be altered / combined into one bigger charge rolled into one that had a verdict on two separate charges that were made?
3/23/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

I don't think you can do that, unless the court first reverses the original verdicts and conducts another trial on the bigger charge or unless the defendant enters into a guilty plea on the combined bigger charge in exchange for reversal of the two previous charges.

In other words, the verdict on the previous charges would somehow have to be vacated or reversed and a new conviction entered. The new conviction would have to be the result of a new trial or a plea bargain in which the defendant entered a guilty plea in exchange for reversing the first two verdicts.

Please rate five stars ***** and press SEND.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor