Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My niece was found guilty and fined. We have noted an appeal…

My niece was found guilty...
My niece was found guilty and fined. We have noted an appeal with the apelate court, since she is innocent.Do we need to pay the fine? Is paying the fine by doing community service admitting guilt?
3/22/2018
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I've been a criminal defense attorney for almost 15 years. I am hoping that I can assist you by answering your question.

Paying the fine is not admitting guilty. It was required by the finding of guilty and the sentencing. If you are successful on appeal, the fine would be reversed and presumably refunded. So your niece should make arrangements to deal with the fine to avoid more serious consequences.

Does this help?

it helps a lot! Thanks!
Does community service in lieu of a fine admit guilt?
If a person is innocent until proven guilty, and a person appeals their case, why must a person immediately pay fines if a person's case is pending an appeal? What happens gif the person performs a lot of community service and then everything is reversed?
Is it different with an appellate review?
You are no longer presumed innocent following a guilty verdict. So paying the fine only completes conditions of the sentence vs admitting guilt.
Jonathan Holson
Thanks!