Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was served a subpoena but i never read it or signed it.

Customer Question
I was served a...

I was served a subpoena but i never read it or signed it. What is the most positive outcome i can look forward to

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No i dont have any charges pending against me at the moment but i am being held on electronic monitoring for being in contempt of court already

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not at this moment thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/22/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. The most positive outcome you can look forward to is to either have a small fine or have the court push out the date that you are supposed to appear/provide whatever documents or things they are looking for. Ordinarily, a subpoena is enforceable by the court. If a party is served a subpoena and does not comply, a party has the ability to ask the court to exercise its authority to exercise its subpoena power. The court may issue what's called a subpoena duces tecum, which is a subpoena the court issues on its own, or they may hold the party that fails to comply in contempt of court. A contempt of court action can usually lead to a fine, but may lead to jail time if the party who was subpoenaed continues to disobey the order.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer