Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If the defender was charged with a simple assault and i want…

Customer Question
Hi, if the defender...

Hi, if the defender was charged with a simple assault and i want to drop the charges today how long will it take for defender to be release from jail?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the assault charges?

Yes April 16 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the assault occur?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can the person be released from jail today or tomorrow

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/22/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Hi
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Unfortunately no, that's not exactly the way the criminal process works from here on out.

Since the police were involved and an arrest was made, the case will now be transferred to the prosecutor's office and the decision on whether or not the charges are dropped/ dismissed depends 100% on the prosecutor.

The prosecutor has a legal duty to investigate the case and to move forward with prosecution, if they can prove the alleged charges.

That being said, it ultimately comes down to what evidence the prosecutor has in their possession.

The more evidence they have -- photos, video, witnesses, etc. -- then the stronger their case is.

The less evidence they have, the weaker the case is, and if there is not sufficient evidence, they will be forced to enter a dismissal.

You as the victim can tell the prosecutor that you do not wish to testify and would like to see the charge dismissed.

It will still be up to the prosecutor, but they will have to re-evaluate the case without you as a potential witness.

If they don't have enough evidence without you, the charge will then be dismissed.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!