Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In the state of Indiana does a subpoena by mean i have to go…

In the state of...

In the state of Indiana does a subpoena by mean i have to go to court or does it have be given to be directly

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Indiana lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The Prosecuter told me i was subpoenaed i want to drop things and not testify but i haven’t received anything in the mail however a witness did and doesn’t want to testify either

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that’s all i don’t want to testify and i haven’t been subpoenaed as of yet

3/22/2018
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If you are served, it is a court order that does require you to appear. If you fail to do so, you could be held in contempt of court. That of course, would depend on if the prosecutor wanted to proceed and take action and try and find you and bring you in. As the victim, you do have a right to speak with the prosecutor assigned to the case about this and express your wishes that the charge be dismissed. It is possible that they will allow you to fill out a waiver of prosecution, to show you do not want them to proceed. However, the decision is always up to the State. I say this because this is a crime against the State and they represent your legal interest as the victim. If they want to proceed, they can and then their ability to win at trial, will likely come down to your cooperation and if you appear and testify against him. As the victim, they would need you to testify against him and if that does not happen, they would have a hard time proceeding and proving the charge beyond a reasonable doubt.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In Indiana can you be served by mail or does it have to be given to be directly

it can be sent in the mail but there is really no way to prove or show you received it. As such, a party could argue it was never received since there was no personal service.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty