Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was recently in a car accident outside my country of

Hi there. I was...

Hi there. I was recently in a car accident outside my country of residence and was charged with careless driving. Thos charge has serious insurance implications and I am wondering about my options for fighting to get the charges lessened to a less serious offense

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The accident occurred in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

All I have done is contacted my insurance company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No one was injured in the accident. I rear ended the other vehicle.

3/22/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Under Florida state law a careless driving ticket can result in 4 points being assessed against your license.

You can consider hiring a traffic lawyer to represent you, and hopefully get this reduced to lesser moving violation with less penalties/ points assessed against you.

Another option for avoiding getting points assessed against your license is by attending a defensive driving course.

There are several options available online.

You should consider contacting the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service for a referral to a traffic lawyer in the county where this incident occurred.

The phone number is:

(800)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for all your help!

You're welcome, no problem. Have a good day!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer