Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was recently in a car accident outside my country of

Hi there. I was...

Hi there. I was recently in a car accident outside my country of residence and was charged with careless driving. Thos charge has serious insurance implications and I am wondering about my options for fighting to get the charges lessened to a less serious offense

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The accident occurred in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

All I have done is contacted my insurance company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No one was injured in the accident. I rear ended the other vehicle.

3/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Under Florida state law a careless driving ticket can result in 4 points being assessed against your license.

You can consider hiring a traffic lawyer to represent you, and hopefully get this reduced to lesser moving violation with less penalties/ points assessed against you.

Another option for avoiding getting points assessed against your license is by attending a defensive driving course.

There are several options available online.

You should consider contacting the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service for a referral to a traffic lawyer in the county where this incident occurred.

The phone number is:

(800)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Thank you so much for all your help!

You're welcome, no problem. Have a good day!