Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I paid a lawyer 500.00 for a criminal procedure due to a…

Customer Question
I paid a lawyer...

I paid a lawyer 500.00 for a criminal procedure due to a house fire theyre. Still investigating. Then he dropped me. Well while I was with him I explained my side and we drew a diagram of my trailer and as I'm getting ready for trial, in the evidence packet there is thus very diagram that we had drawn! Is that why he dropped me to blow me in to the da? And if so how do I deal with this so this isn't held against me In now court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I had one now they did a grand jury indigent and now I have 6 or 7 charges and they only called one witness into the indigtment and never called my witness,she was told she wasn't needed. And it's in 2 weeks

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

I denied the plea because I'm not guilty and they won't even give me another plea. Ny

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I guess not

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/22/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Witnesses for the defense are never part of a grand jury proceeding, so the fact that they didn't call your witness doesn't have any impact on the case. The grand jury's sole function is to determine whether there is probable cause to believe that a person committed a crime, looking at all the evidence against him. They're not required to look at exculpatory evidence, and almost never do, because that's not their purpose.

That diagram is attorney work product that should not have been shared with the prosecution. Any notes regarding strategy and trial tactics are between the two of you, and he cannot be made to show them to the other side. He also shouldn't be doing it voluntarily. You can report him to the state bar for an ethics violation.

https://www.nycourts.gov/attorneys/grievance/complaints.shtml

Note that if you were paying a $500 flat rate to handle the case, you can also sue the lawyer in Small Claims for a refund, because he didn't complete the case - and he totally botched it. If you have to pay another lawyer to fix his malpractice, you're also entitled to recover that from him.

Meanwhile, it is in your best interests to hire another attorney to help you seek to suppress that diagram or otherwise minimize the consequences. You could also call the public defender's office and see if they are able to assign another lawyer to represent you. Explain what happened, and they should be able to help you before the next hearing. If possible, they can also ask to continue the case.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer