Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was convicted of a domestic violence pc 243(e)(1) and was…

Customer Question
Hi I was convicted...

Hi I was convicted of a domestic violence pc 243(e)(1) and was sentenced to summary probation.. I became homeless and couldn’t pay for my classes nor could I find a way to get to court so I missed my court date.. out of fear of jail I’ve been on the run since 10/31/2017.. I haven’t done anything to violate my probabtion except I missed some traffic driving with no licenece court dates.. I already spent 16 days in jail for this case how long do you think I will have to go to jail if I turn myself in.. I have my progress report from October and I paid my fines and have been taking some side classes and I now have a licence..

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

What does that mean? I was convicted of PC 243(e)(1) which I believe is just assault on a spouse

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I don’t think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/22/2018
Criminal Lawyer: James Daloisio, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

There's a saying in the court houses: "Your chances of leaving by the front door are better if you came in by the front door." In other words, if you surrender, your punishment won't be as bad as it will be if you get arrested on the warrant.

You have to look at what they call "mitigating circumstances." First, you surrendered voluntarily. Second, you paid your fines. Third, you are taking the classes. Fourth, you have your license. Compare that to the "aggravating factors," which would be your failure to report to probation and your failure to appear in court. They don't expect you to pay if you don't have the money; but you have to show up and tell them. If you show up in court and tell the judge you want to get back on track, and show what you've done so far, you may not have to do any jail time at all. There is no mandatory jail for your case. If you can convince the court that you are serious about sticking to your obligations on probation you have a good chance of getting reinstated with no additional time. Or minimal time. But you have to take charge of your case. Don't wait until they come and get you.

Hope that answered your question. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. Good luck in court, and thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Lawyer