Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son, 16, got a duty to drive with due care ticket after…

Customer Question
My son, 16, got...

My son, 16, got a duty to drive with due care ticket after not seeing a truck in a blind spot and getting in accident

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Our car was totaled and no one was injured and the truck driver had no damage nor injury

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

We appear this Friday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do we even need a lawyer? what is the worse offense? he wasn't speeding, just didn't see the truck he passed

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/22/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

This offense is considered a "petty misdemeanor" which means a petty offense which is prohibited by statute, which does not constitute a crime and for which a sentence of a fine of not more than $300 may be imposed. A person charged with a petty misdemeanor is not entitled to a jury trial but shall be tried by a judge without a jury. If convicted, the person is not subject to imprisonment but shall be punished by a fine of not more than $300.

The typical fine with court costs looks to be about $118. Doesn't seem worth it to hire a lawyer (since it would cost more than the fine).

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer