Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I left the keys in my car and my car was stolen it was

I left the keys...

I left the keys in my car and my car was stolen it was driven into the fence around the corner. I've already spoken to the property owner and let her know I'd fix the fence. I've had prior DUI convictions and the police are trying to imply it was me behind the wheel. I've already talked to the investigator over the phone and now they want me to come to the station to talk about it again. I'm wondering why we have to talk again if I've already told them what happened and informed the owner I'd pay for the fence.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No charges were filed I don't even have any tickets

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My truck was towed and the tow guy was acting funny when I called to get it. He was saying you know you were driving turn yoirself in. How does the tow man know so much about my background. How can they keep my truck if I haven't been charged with anything

3/21/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The answer is no. Here is how this works:

1) a police complaint is filed or the police open their own;
2) the police investigate by questioning all parties involved and reviewing the evidence;
3) they pass on the information to the District Attorney;
4) the D.A. makes a decision whether to charge or not.

What might he want?

Because he wants to get your version of the events. At this time, you DO NOT HAVE TO talk to the police, but of course if you do not, this may pass off as suspicious. Ergo, most parties do respond, but, with counsel. Do not talk to the police alone, because they will try to get you to admit something and/or use your words against you. An attorney can help you make a formal statement and/or an interview that is controlled and measured. But do not go alone. Or, you can simply not go. But it is recommended to make a statement using counsel.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ok, so why is the tow guy not releasing my truck. He was saying go turn yourself in and take $125 to get out then bring the release papers to get it out. When I called the police station they never said anything about having to pay for a police tow and couldn't even tell me why my truck was towed.

If your truck was towed from a tow zone, then the yard does not have to release your vehicle. If you feel that it was towed improperly (meaning, it was not in a tow zone), you have to threaten or actually go to Court to get it released (at which time you can also demand damages and attorney fees).

Yes, yes - I know that you did not drive the vehicle to that zone; but that does not matter. There is automatic right to get the vehicle released if it was parked there without your authorization by another party. However if they catch the individual, you can sue him in civil court for damages OR her can pay reparation via a criminal court order, which includes your cost of getting the vehicle out of the yard.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

The truck was towed off of private property after it was driven into a fence down the street and around the corner. So do they have the right to hold it?

I am afraid so. If a vehicle is on YOUR private property, you can have it towed regardless of how it got there. So my answer stands "as is."

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ok, thank you!
Of course. Good luck.