Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In reference to with Narcolepsy and Jill unyielding

Customer Question
In reference to Jack with...
In reference to Jack with Narcolepsy and Jill unyielding harassment: would any of these Three laws apply?Please carefully look at the abuse of a vulnerable adult as I have been told by others that is my best chance of stopping this abuse. Also been told if the attorney is acting outside the rules of judicial conduct then he is not protected. 76-5-106.5. Stalking -- Definitions -- Injunction -- Penalties.(b) "Course of conduct" means two or more acts directed at or toward a specific person, including:
(i) acts in which the actor ..... communicates to or about a person, or interferes with a person's property:
(A) directly, indirectly, or through any third party; and
(B) by any action, method, device, or means; or76-5-106. Harassment.
(1) A person is guilty of harassment if, with intent to frighten or harass another, he communicates a written or recorded threat to commit any violent felony. (the following abuse of a vulnerable adult can be a felony)76-5-111. Abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a vulnerable adult -- Penalties.
(b) "Abuse" means:
(i) attempting to cause harm, intentionally or knowingly causing harm, or intentionally or knowingly placing another in fear of imminent harm;
(ii) causing physical injury by knowing or intentional acts or omissions;(e) "Deception" means:
(i) a misrepresentation or concealment:
(A) of a material fact relating to services rendered, disposition of property, or use of property intended to benefit a vulnerable adult;
(i) "Harm" means pain, mental anguish, emotional distress, hurt, physical or psychological damage, physical injury, suffering, or distress inflicted knowingly or intentionally.
(k) "Intimidation" means communication conveyed through verbal or nonverbal conduct which threatens deprivation of money, food, clothing, medicine, shelter, social interaction, supervision, health care, or companionship, or which threatens isolation or harm.(q) "Serious physical injury" means any physical injury or set of physical injuries that:(iii) ... causes serious emotional harm to a vulnerable adult; or
(iv) creates a reasonable risk of death.(2) Under any circumstances likely to produce death or serious physical injury, any person, including a caretaker, who causes a vulnerable adult to suffer serious physical injury or, having the care or custody of a vulnerable adult, causes or permits that adult's person or health to be injured, or causes or permits a vulnerable adult to be placed in a situation where the adult's person or health is endangered, is guilty of the offense of aggravated abuse of a vulnerable adult as follows:
(a) if done intentionally or knowingly, the offense is a second degree felony;
(b) if done recklessly, the offense is third degree felony; and
(c) if done with criminal negligence, the offense is a class A misdemeanor
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/21/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is a divorce proceeding or legal proceeding in process in this matter correct? You are trying to claim these statues apply during a legal proceeding between Jack and Jill?

No there is not, the divorce was final 2 years ago. There was a judgment 2 years ago that I pay about 20k in her attorneys fees and 1/2 her school loans. The Judge wrote the order and said:
¶29. Jack will 64k to his father for loans for legal matters
¶29.(b) Jack will pay back his father 5k for the loan that Jack and Jill took out while they were married.
¶29(c) Jack will pay Jill 20k in attorneys fees and 1/2 her school loan.My Ex knows that I have had additional medical complications and I was financially strapped so she goes and has her attorney he sends me a letter that I have to pay her 20k or they are filing their 3rd OSC and will seek jail time. This is what happened on the other two OSC. When I became sick and my Ex finds out, she demands money I don’t have and then files and OSC and I then I go to court Prose and of course I’m found in contempt and have additional attorney’s fees added to the debt. One of the OSC was when she know I was quite ill she and her attorney setup a mediation and without my knowledge held the mediation and filed an OSC I didn’t attend. I was still sick for the OSC hearing and hired an attorney to represent me. Her attorney agreed they wouldn’t fight the request for a continuance but then they did. At the hearing her attorney lied about me knowing about mediation and claimed I helped set it up. He even turned in an affidavit about it that was 100% bold-face lie. The second OSC was nearly the same, they found out I'm ill and unable to get around or get out of bed and an OTC is filed and I didn't have any more money to get an attorney. So again she became aware that I have had a diagnosis of leukemia and the narcolepsy has become much worse and I wrote her telling her I might need to move because I have no money to pay for medical treatments... and BAM, her attorney writes me and says pay 20k or you are going to jail. I told him number one, the order is for me to pay a) father 64k, (b) father 5k, then lastly (c) ex-wife. I also told him they are both aware I'm sick and financially broke and I don't have the ability to pay. Also reminded him she is ordered to mediate before filing with the court. He wrote back and said "I don't see things the way you do, and Im positive the Judge will see things my way (they are friends and has always seen it his way) you have until next Friday to agree to pay her the 20k or we are filing another OSC and this one being your third, you can guarantee that we will be successful in getting a 30 day jail sentence."
So I am trying to stop these two from harassing me and making my health worse, I have had 3 hours of sleep in 3 days. Can’t, they be stopped by the abuse of a vulnerable adult law?

So she is seeking to enforce a court order against you, correct? The court ordered you to pay these things and she is trying to make you pay, but you say you cannot afford to do so, am I getting you right?

But both she and her attorney go after me when they know I can't defend myself

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry, she has a right to seek enforcement of the court orders. If you are so severely disabled you would need to go to legal aid or call the state bar and ask them for legal representation so that they can represent your interests when you cannot do so. However, you cannot stop her or her attorney from seeking to enforce her rights I am afraid.

You would have the same right to seek to enforce any court orders against her. So you cannot stop her. All you can do is respond and seek to prove to the court you are unable to pay and ask them to reduce what you owe.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.