Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was arrested in April 22,1996 in Alabama. I have been

My name is***** I...

My name is***** I was arrested in April 22,1996 in Alabama. I have been residing in Miami Beach. I want to know if my case can be expunged.

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

I was arrested for 2nd degree burglary and 2nd degree larceny. I went to jail for 3 months and I was released. I am now accepted in Nursing school that is why I want my record expunged.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Alabama. I had a fight with my boyfriend at that time and when I left he told the police that I robbed his mom and I did not even enter the premises in which I also was living in the house with him and when I left I was surprise about the arrest.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I tried to contact the court house but they told me my record doesn't exist.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Were your convictions for misdemeanors or felonies?

I really don't know because I was not notified and since it happened 1996 I don't have the papers anymore and all I have is my background check from my school.
how can I solve this issue without spending so much money. I work as a CNA and I'm alone so I won't have any help paying for this but me.

Thank you. Please give me some time to look up the law in your state and see what sort of crimes they are and whether they are expungeable.

JustAnswer will notify you by email when I've posted an answer so that you don't have to just sit there waiting for me to finish researching and typing the reply.

Burglary in the second degree is a Class B felony in Alabama and Larceny in the Second degree is a Class C felony. If you only served two months on these charges, they were likely reduced to less serious offenses before you took your plea.

Regardless, however, of whether this was ultimately resolved as a misdemeanor or a felony, the state of Alabama will not expunge convictions. They expunge dismissals and acquittals. So unfortunately, there is presently no way to get these crimes off of your record.

The only way to minimize the effects of this conviction would be to apply for a pardon from the governor. That would not erase your record but it would be official proof that you have turned your life around and that the state's highest official believes that now you are fully rehabilitated. They are not easy to get, but they do not require a lawyer. And if you are given one, a pardon will go a long way to help you personally and professionally.

You can find out more about this and what you'd need to start the process here on the website for the Alabama Board of Pardons and Parole. They do the screening for the governor.

http://www.pardons.state.al.us/Pardons.aspx

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Me. Zoey if you could help me start the process for asking pardon from the governor. I can set up payments . I hope you don’t charge so much. I really want to resolve this issue. Thanks

Unfortunately, JustAnswer is not a law firm and so per the rules of the site and of our bar associations, lawyers here cannot be retained to represent customers. I cannot do your pardon for you.

However, pardons don't require a lawyer. It's something you can do for yourself if you are comfortable with that.

The link I gave you yesterday tells you who to contact and what information you need to have handy for the Board to get them to mail you the application form. Then you fill it out when you receive it and send it in.

Here's the link again below in case you didn't see it.

It’s unfortunate that the bar forbid you to represent me. But, I thank you for helping me and I will start the process asking for pardon from the governor. Thanks again.

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Good luck!

Mr. Zoey has exceeded the 5 Star scale. He has proven to be very knowledgeable and very helpful. I will recommend him to my friends if they need a lawyer. I’m glad I have his help and I’m very satisfied with help. Thanks.

Thank you!

Your welcome.!

My pleasure. No need for you to further reply.

Zoey_ JD