Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Our daughter was convicted 8 years ago for murder she is now…

Customer Question
Our daughter was convicted...

Our daughter was convicted 8 years ago for murder she is now in Muncy State Prison for life without the possibility of parole. Her name is***** Her public defender died and the DA Stacy Parks Miller has been been dogged by many things that she did wrong. Mirinda's lawyer was Ed Blanarik. We are now retired and we spent all our savings when we hired a lawyer from Jefferson Hills near Pittsburgh. Is there any thing else that we can do. Is there some kind of document that Mirinda could be sent that perhaps she could have someone else look into her case? We need some help desperately. She is our only child and she never was convicted of any other crime. It was even brought up at the trial,by the coroner that Mirinda could not have killed Sammy . All that they have are some text messages from Mirinda to Ron Heichel. Marlene

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

First degree murder. I don't know if all the appeals have been exhausted. We have never had to deal with this and since her public defender is dead, and we have no money, I don't know where to go. There was a tv show that was done on the murder, and there is going to be another one done in May.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a PA lawyer about this yet?

We had hired a Charles Loprestia from Jefferson Hills, and he filed an appeal, and ost. We have run out of money, but we want our daughter back.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The only info that they have for Mirinda are some cell phone messages about wanting Ron to build a pond for their house. Sammy and Mirinda had water in their basement, they had been to visit a cousin of mine that had a [pond put in their lawn to prevent this. They came hope from that meeting and told my husband and I about the pond. The district attorney said that pond meant kill, even tho they only people who told them this, were prison mates of Ron and Mirinda. The district attorney kept on referring to Mirinda as a spoiled child and Sammy as a hard worker. Mirinda worked all of their married life until she was pregnant with her third child. They were having a lot of hard financial times and that led to much fighting. No one could testify for Mirinda or Ron because their trials were held at the same time in the same court room, to save the tax payers money. Please help

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/21/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If she has exhausted all of her appeals, which according to the court records she has, the only thing remaining is discovery of new evidence. So, in order for her to have any chance at this conviction being overturned, she would need some new evidence that has been discovered to show that she was innocent and that new evidence would need to be presented to the court to get them to vacate the conviction.

There are organizations such as the Southern Poverty Law Center (it does not matter where they are located, they associate with attorneys all over the US) that review life sentence cases to see if there is anything that can be done. See: http://www.splcenter.org

Also, you can go to the public defender's office to seek to get assistance from the PD office as well.

I am afraid that without finding some new evidence, the appeals process in the case has been exhausted.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.