Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What laws govern shooting of firearms in a residential area…

What laws govern shooting...

What laws govern shooting of firearms in a residential area of unincorporated Fulton County, Illinois (nearest home is within 150')?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IL lawyer about this yet?

Yes, but not about target shooting for an extended period of time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are some other issues regarding excessive noise, including a rooster crowing at 4:30 AM (also within 150').

3/21/2018
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - In your residential area is there a home owners association?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At one time, there was. When we moved here 25+ years ago, there was mention of it, but we never received any kind of paperwork regarding it. There are a dozen homes in our area including four homes on the highway. Most are on one acre lots. Two other families also came just before us in 1992; one couple in 2006; seven others were here prior to 1992. Most everyone is retired, with ages ranging from early fifties to late seventies. The most recent family came late in 2013, and moved directly across from us. We are separated by about 40' of yard on each side and a 10' private lane. They are in their early 30's with two children, ages about 12 and 8. There have been a number of issues, particularly the last two years, and other neighbors have complained or expressed concern. However, we are the closest, and catch the brunt of it. We no longer communicate at all with them. The last time I questioned anything personally, I was told it was their property and they would do whatever they wanted. They have also threatened to shoot our cats if one should venture onto their property. I realize I have given an expanded answer to your question, but wanted to provide some basic information.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Talking on the phone might be easier, but I would rather not spend more money.

I think talking on the phone would be the quickest way - But the quick answer to your question would be the laws of the home owners association would govern. Even if it hasn't been kept up. After that the laws of the county would govern. You can look at the county ordinances pertaining to firearms. It will have its own subsection. It should be available online.

I hope that answered your question directly and pointed you at additional resources - we can talk on the phone or you can mark my question with 5 stars

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I appreciate your time and effort. I doubt I can gain much of anything further by a phone conversation and, as I said, I don't want to spend more money. The information you have provided has been minimally helpful, as I was already aware of most of it. I spoke with a neighbor this afternoon who has a copy of the homeowners association agreement. I would question how any such agreement would be legally binding in court, but I haven't read it yet. Interestingly, I was told the county police were across the road last evening (I wasn't aware of it) and we have speculated another neighbor may have called about all the shooting. Is there anything more you can add before we close?

The HOA is binding because it runs with the land - when an HOA is established it stays with the complex and the properties.

I believe I answered your question and gave you next steps - Please rate my answer with 5 stars

LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Again, LegalDan, I appreciate your help. I grade it a good response. A little more detail related specifically to the problem I presented would have garnered excellent. It may be that I expected more; you gave all you could, and maybe you could have provided more info via the phone call. In any event, you get credit.
LegalDan
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer