Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I was arrested for a misdemeanor but have not gone to…

Customer Question
If I was arrested...

If I was arrested for a misdemeanor but have not gone to court can I go out of state

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

OWI

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Indiana

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/21/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Yes, you can.

There's nothing in the law that prevents you from traveling while you have an open pending misdemeanor case, unless a judge gives a specific instruction not to.

You just want to be sure that you are back in time for court, and that you don't miss any court dates, otherwise a bench warrant can be issued for your arrest for a failure to appear.

If you have an attorney representing you, then your attorney can appear in court on your behalf, which would prevent a bench warrant from being issued for a failure to appear.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer