Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son is incarcerated and won't get out until 2019. He has…

Customer Question
My son is incarcerated...

My son is incarcerated and won't get out until 2019. He has fines in 3 different towns and asked me to get 3 letters of incarceration, fill them out and send to the towns. He said by doing so will they will take his time served in lieu of monetary payment. Is this correct and where do I get such letters.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your son in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken so far?

None that I know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has been incarcerated since Oct 2016, One town fine is $804.00, another is $1800 and I don't know the third.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/21/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I can wait for an answer
I can wait for a day or two
Criminal Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 3 months ago
Michael Bradley

the answer to your question is potentially yes

there is no letter that is downloadable that can be sent to the judge

What I suggest is that you contact each court and talk to one of the clerks to see if the court and the judge

would be amenable to forgiving the amount due in lieu of time served at lot of times they will do it by video

I have been able to do that many times for clients

it has worked most of the time but there have been a few times it did not work