Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

The appellate court asked me for The style of the case. I…

The appellate court asked me...
The appellate court asked me for The style of the case.
I asked the court and they said they did not know what this meant. And then they just passed the buck.Finally after numerous clerks saying that they did not know what. Style meant, I was told it was the state versus my niece.
However I don't think this can't be true because the state and initially refused the case and it was prosecuted by the security guard for removal of a shopping cart that he did not own and he aS not employed by the store not was he their agent.
Then it was appealed to Circuit Court and the judge there are said he does not have to go by the law.
Online it says the plaintiff would have to be involved from day one, and the only person involved from day one was a security guard.
So for the style of the case can I put the name of the security guard as a complaintant versus my niece?
3/21/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

The style of the case should be the exact legal name of the case in the court record and the case number. What you should do is to ask the court clerk for a copy of the case docket sheet and that will contain the style of the case. Also, any of the orders issued by the court in the court file will contain the style of the case.

If this is a criminal matter, then the plaintiff would be the state. That is how criminal cases are styled, either the name of the state or the United States if a federal case versus the defendant. If it is a civil matter it may have the name of the security guard, but a criminal matter will have the name of the state as the plaintiff in the style of the case.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor
You state that the style should be the exact legal name;however, the case was not conducted legally. That is what I'm having so much troubl.
This is technically a criminal case ;although no real crime was committed.Do you know who the ;victim is?
the original charges were " removal of a shipping cart" and "false id"; although ,the security guard has no arrest powers anymore.and he was not bwearing a uniform (I do not think he is allowed to)
The security guard used to be a policeman; but., he did something wrong snd currently. , he delivers. mail to the policemen.? The judge ruled so fast that my lawyer was ast)..
O.o will add here as the site will not permit me to edit.
I was advised that the complainant or plaintiff has to be on the case from day one. Originally the prosecution refused the case.
The only person on the case from day one was the security guard. Paragraph the ideology is that the victim /complainant has to suffer either emotionally financially psychologically Etc.
so how did the security guard suffer as he lists himself as complaintant on the summons.
And he personally prosecuted in lower court when the state refused involvement.
The Judge said he does not have to follow the law because it is his courtroom and he does what he wants.
However the Supreme Court does not agree. Also the supreme court says the court belongs to all citizens and the court is not biased or dictatorial.