Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm being black mailed on IMO app, the person has a

I'm being black mailed...

I'm being black mailed on IMO app, the person has a recording of me doing things. Asking for money to the phillipines. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

What do you mean? Appeals?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Philippine lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was at work

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

People who ask a question like yours, and we get several of them every day, typically have answered some backpage ad or had been chatting with someone on the web that they met through a dating or social media site. The conversation got explicit and they were coaxed into sending photos or videos. Then they get blackmailed with them. Pay money or they will publish the video. I'm sure this is what happened to you as well.

I know you're probably terrified, but in fact, you're the victim of a scam.

The scam is so popular that it has brought a new word into the language -- sextortion, short for sexual extortion -- and if you Google "sextortion scam" you'll get an idea of how popular this fraud is.

Unscrupulous people hang out on chatrooms and other places where couples can connect for sexual encounters and chat. They entrap you into exchanging photos or videos, and then they turn around and threaten to publish the videos to your friends and family if you don't pay them money.

DO NOT PAY THEM A CENT!

You should never give into a blackmailer. THey NEVER strike just once and if you pay her once, she'll be asking you for more money and more money and more money and more money. And you'll never get past your fear of her.

On the other hand, if you block her, ignore all of her contact and requests and send her nothing, there is nothing she is really going to do. Her only real power is in her threats. She gets absolutely nothing from exposing you.

Believe it or not, nothing she can do to you is worse than what you can do to yourself if you pay her.

As many times as we get stories like yours, we have almost NEVER seen the blackmailer follow through with the exposure. That's because she gets NOTHING she wants out of exposing you. All she really wants is money. If you don't pay her, the odds are nearly 100% that move on to try to blackmail someone else.

Do not pay her. Block her. Don't read or believe her threats. She's only trying to intimidate you to steal your money. The odds are that if you ignore her, she'll do absolutely nothing. If, on the other hand, you pay her and then keep paying her, the odds are 100% that she will keep threatening and asking for more money for the rest of your life until you finally wise up and stop paying her anyway.

Chatting and exchanging sexual videos with another adult is not illegal. So, you can report her to the police and online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov

In the unlikely event that she did try to post the video, she cannot post it on Facebook, YouTube or social media because explicit material is not allowed there. If she did, you could get it immediately taken down. She could post it on a porn site, but who would find it? If she did post it somewhere you could find, you could contact the site and get it removed or hire a lawyer to do a takedown.

I know they can't post it on social media, but on porn websites she can & I want to know is there way to find out through like a search engine of where its all posted?

No. There's no way to do a video search the way you can do a photo search. That said, the largest industry on the web is the porn industry. There are a huge number of both legal and iilegal porn sites on the regular and dark web. That anyone you know would find your video on a porn site is highly unlikely. And again, what does it get the scammer? Absolutely nothing It's an intimidation tactic, and you will not find one lawyer or law enforcement person anywhere who will tell you it's a good idea to pay a blackmailer like this.

Report her and block her.

Okay & what would the Complaint fufill?
Will the person get caught?
I will just have to suck it up & cross fingers I don't get posted?
I know you said it highly unlikely they would do it because if I don't pay. They'll just go to the next target.It's the paranoia that's killing me.

I know but it's unlikely that you have anything much to worry about. Even the FBI warns of this scam and tells people not to pay up.

I don't know whether anyone will catch these creeps or not. on the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center they are partnered with Interpol which will distribute your information to law enforcement agencies around the world. Maybe someone will find her, maybe not

One thing for sure is, however, that if you don't report her, nobody will look for her.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD