Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was tricked into pleading guilty to a criminal case, I can…

I was tricked into...

I was tricked into pleading guilty to a criminal case, I can prove that the District Attorney allowed police officers to lie to the grand jury about evidence in the case in order to secure a indictment against me and my lawyer at the time had me just plead guilty. I served my time already but can I file a civil suit against the state, the officers and my lawyer even though I pled guilty?

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

I was convicted of 2nd degree murder and my appeals have been exhausted.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the murder occur?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to use a civil suit to get the District Attorney who handled the case, the police officers that lied to the grand jury and my then attorney to go under oath in a deposition and that could open the door to get my conviction back into the appeals court

3/21/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

Actually I recommend that you contact the public defender in your county in Massachussetts and have them reopen the criminal conviction and have it reversed because of these irregularities. You should go for a reversal of the criminal conviction first, and then you can go after them for the civil violations.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

The criminal defender's office handled my last appeal and when the appellate court allowed the District Attorney to change the theory of my case on appeal, they told me to just try and get parole because it's obvious that the Court isn't going to allow you to get out by overturning the conviction. Probably because of the high profile nature of you case and because the assistant district attorney who allowed the misconduct in front of the grand jury is now a sitting Judge. Therefore, the criminal defense attorney's office won't reopen the case. That's why I thought of filing a civil suit and getting sworn testimony from all the officials regarding the lies before the grand jury was my only way to go to reopen the case and get the conviction dismissed

OK, under those circumstances it makes sense to proceed with the civil portion first. I think you have the right idea here and should proceed.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor