Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I need a lawyer for a misdemeanor case for issuing worthless…

Second opinion] I need...

Second opinion] I need a lawyer for a misdemeanor case for issuing worthless check. What to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Yes meet with da March 23 2018 for pre trial??

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

I can't see your answer as it is hidden under this one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wi

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, we're not able to direct you to a specific lawyer or law firm, as that's against the terms of service of the site. However, I can steer you to the same sources lawyers use when we have to find someone to consult with in another state or specialty and we don't know any.

Once such site would be the Wisconsin Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of about $50 for the referral but that includes a half-hour consultation with the attorney

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=WI

There are also commercial referral services. Two that are highly regarded are www.martindale.com and www.Avvo.com. Many of their lawyers are peer and client-rated to help you narrow down your choices.

If you are indigent and can't afford to retain private counsel, you'd be eligible for a public defense lawyer. In that case, you would show up on your court date without a lawyer. When you are arraigned on the charges, you would just tell the judge you are too poor to be able to hire an attorney and ask him for a free lawyer. He would appoint you one and adjourn your case for another date. At that time, you'll meet your lawyer who would take matters from there.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

I Truely thank you. I wish I could hire you, you were very helpful, and I Truely appreciate your advice. I only wish you could tell me if you think,I'd be doing jail time. That scares me to tears. Sincerely ***** ***** Again thank you

Thanks for the kind words, Connie.

Typically, unless you have previous felonies, a lawyer would likely be able to keep you out of jail. The standard plea offer for something like this is probation with restitution to the victim and I'm confident your lawyer should be able to negotiate something like that for you if you haven't been in felony trouble before. As long as you make your court appearances in timely fashion, you'll be able to ask for your free lawyer and I don't think there's much of any chance you'll have to go to jail.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD